Tuesday, February 20, 2007

This is a followup to my opinion that I wrote about in my Barack Obama Post yesterday. In that post, I said that I don't think gay couples should get to raise children, because that is not the ideal situation. As a Christian, morally, I view homosexuality as sin.
The Bible says homosexual acts are sin. And if continually, unrepentantly committing homosexual acts are what defines a homosexual, then that person is living in sin. It is the same as a single parent having a sexual relationship with someone who is not their spouse. The children in that household see that, and they don't get a clear picture of what a committed relationship should look like. The one relationship that they see most as they grow is not a healthy one.

And I don't think its good for anyone to continue dwelling in sin. I don't think it would be a positive environment for children to grow up with a gay couple for parents, but that's not because I am a homophobe and am afraid that their children would turn out gay. If you are widowed...well that's not the ideal situation either, is it? It is a difficult thing when that happens, but you then have the responsibility to seek out a positive role model of the opposite sex to spend time with your children.
I believe in separation of church and state, but when one begins to affect the freedom, well-being, and development of others who cannot help themselves, then it becomes the problem of the state.
That's not to say that all heterosexual, married couples are a great situation for children either. In fact, many parents out there shouldn't be raising kids. We are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God, and I doubt that I will ever see this country reflect anything that is even close to what God intended for us, because we are always choosing wrong. Heaven help us.

No comments: