Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Marcia's Get Read for Baby List

Registry Suggestions...just my opinion

Moby Wrap or other baby carrier

(The single-shoulder type of carrier [such as a ringsling or hotsling] is easier to put on and take off, but I found it hurt my back to bear all the weight on one shoulder for a long time. You may want to switch shoulders periodically if you use this type. The Moby does the best job of distributing the baby's weight, but you'll need to practice tying it on a bit with a teddy bear or bag of sugar. You can buy items like these on Etsy.com and there are instuctional videos on youtube. If you are confident about tying it on, get a lightweight woven one for hot summer months. Clip-on ones such as the Snugli or Bjorn are fine, just not as comfortable.)

Stroller

(I haven't tried many strollers, but my favorite feature of my stroller is that the seat reclines flat, so I can change Samson's diaper in the stroller instead of those dirty public restrooms. We got it used, so the food/cupholder tray for the baby is now missing, and I REALLY wish it was still there! It does have a cupholder for Mommy, which I LOVE! [but I will warn you NOT to put any beverage without a tight screw-on lid in there—especially hot coffee.] One of the biggest issues with strollers is that when the baby is reclined, you can't access the basket with your diaper bag without disturbing the baby. If you are on-the-go a lot, read parent reviews before you buy your stroller. You'll want one of those $10 lightweight strollers as well, but that can wait until the baby is older.)

Swing or Vibrating bouncy seat or both

(Some babies are picky—Samson preferred the vibrating bouncer as a newborn)

Double-electric breast pump, Bottle cleaning brush, and a Bottle warmer

(I would really advise against a hand pump or single pump if you plan on returning to work. You're not allowed to microwave breast milk, and running it under warm water is such a chore—takes forever, so I really wish I had had a bottle warmer. You could also give it to them cold—it won't hurt them. You don't have to buy either item until a few weeks before returning to work, at which point you should introduce the bottle. Mine came with ice packs and insulated bag, which was nice.)

Cotton balls or cotton rounds

(We used these and some water for the first couple of weeks instead of wipes, because of newborns' delicate skin. Also use cotton swab and water to clean the cord stump.)

Infant Grooming/First Aid Kit

Many of the kits you buy include the following, but you can also purchase the items separately.

Thermometer—rectal temp is most accurate, so you also need petroleum jelly, or you can get an ear thermometer or 'temple touch'

Baby Nail clippers, nail scissors and file (you will want to file baby's nails immediately)

Nasal bulb (they gave me one at the hospital and it worked better than the store-bought one)

Gum massager/toothbrush

Hairbrush/comb

Medicine dropper/medicine spoon (I never used these, because they gave them to me at the pharmacy. I think I used the dropper for saline solution when he had a stuffy nose.)

Band-aids (though, I'm sure you already have these?)

Baby Monitor

(nice to have, not a necessity)

Newborn outfits with attached mittens

(They're called "mitten cuffs." Samson cut me up really bad while nursing with those newborn fingernails. People will probably give you some as gifts anyway)

Nursing Pillow (such as Boppy)

(MUST HAVE IF YOU BREASTFEED)

Fan

(running a fan in the room while the baby's sleeping helps reduce the risk of SIDS)

Lanolin

(I used Lansinoh brand – available in the infant feeding aisle with the breast pumps and pads. Put it on every time after you nurse.)

Nursing Pads

(I liked Avent or Johnson's with the breathable outer layer. I tried the reusable, but they did not hold enough liquid for someone like me with over-production problems)

LOTS of Burp cloths

Nursing bras/nursing tanks

(Don't want anything with an under-wire as this can cause plugged ducts in your breasts. I made the mistake of buying some medium size nursing tanks and later wished I had bought small for better support. They can run bigger than you think. Your size will change: buy these AFTER the baby is born if you can wait.)

Nursing Cover

(A blanket works, too, but I liked the security of the strap, and the cover was more breathable than a blanket. You can also use it to drape over the baby carrier or stroller to keep sun out of baby's eyes. My favorite was “The First Years” brand one, but lots of cool designs are available on Etsy.com).

Play mat with play gym


Changing mat

(One for at home and one for the diaper bag. If you have the money and the space, having a changing table is ideal. Our play yard came with an attached changing table, but only holds baby up to a certain weight, so he outgrew that quickly.)

Diaper Pail

Laundry bag/basket

(You'll need something small you can keep handy next to the changing area to toss dirty clothes in when baby has a diaper blowout.)

Wet bags

(I bought a couple of leak-proof “Wet Happened” brand bags, which can also be used for wet bathing suits. I keep them in the diaper bag for dirty diapers or when Samson spills all over his outfit etc. and reuse them a zillion times. You can just as easily stash some grocery bags in the diaper bag for such situations.)

Fitted crib sheets

(need several changes because poopies explode sometimes!)

BPA-free bottles and silicone nipples

(Nipples will need to be replaced periodically as they wear out. I used the “Nuk” bottles.)

Baby bath tub

(I wish I had one that fit in the sink. Recently, in anticipation of whenever another baby comes along, I purchased a bath cradle at Wal-Mart: fabric on a wire frame to hold the baby. You can use it in the sink OR big people tub and don't even have to buy a baby tub.)

Baby wash cloths

(or lots of soft adult-size wash cloths)

Car seat

(This is one you will definitely want to research if you haven't already purchased it. You must CAREFULLY install it properly—most parents think they did it correctly, but they did it wrong. This will save your baby's life in an accident. You can either get a convertible one that holds them from newborn up to 40 lb. or so, or you can get one for a little baby [which the hospital will probably give you] and a toddler one when he outgrows it. I have a few. The one I am using holds them from newborn up to like 60 lb., but you cannot remove it from the car and carry them around in it. Check NHTSA website for ease-of-use ratings and installation help.)

Play yard

(Nice to have, but not a necessity. Many come with changing hammock, which is also helpful.)

Shopping cart/high chair cover

(Not a necessity, you can also use a baby wipe to wipe the shopping cart down, or keep wiping baby's hands. I keep forgetting I have mine in the car, but it is nice to have.)

Some place to store all this stuff

(A dresser, a few plastic bins/drawers, and something to tote your diapering/nursing essentials around the house)

Savings account in your child's name

(People will give you money for the baby's “college” or whatever:)


Ivan's Additional Recommended Items:

[Thank you to my husband for these "inspired" baby registry suggestions :) ]

Nunchucks

Turducken (eat a whole one twice a month)

6 Copies of Die Hard II

Toyota Corolla

Gun (revolver-type)

Parachute Pants (the sparklier the better)

For an older baby

Things you can definitely wait to buy


Feeding supplies

(Baby spoons, forks, bowls, tupperwares, sippy cups, snack cups)

Toys

(No one bought us many toys. I guess no one loves us. Whattoexpect.com or the baby books will tell you what toys to buy at what age.)

Toddler clothes:18 months, 24 months etc.

(Everyone will buy you the teeny tiny clothes that the baby will wear for one month and when they turn 1 year, suddenly they've outgrown everything you got at the baby shower!)

Booster chair or High chair

(You won't need one until the baby is 6 months. If you have a chair at your kitchen table you can spare, I think its much better to put a booster in it—way cheaper and way easier to put in storage. Plus you can bring the booster along if you're having dinner at a friend's house.)

Feeding Bibs

(I like the wipe-able ones that are like $5 at Wal-Mart)


You DON'T need to buy...


Dreft or other special laundry detergent

(Just stick to the laundry detergent you have. I thought for a bit that ours was giving Sammy a rash, but it turned out to be a sweat rash 'cus it was so dang warm).

Pacifiers

(You'll probably get them as gifts, and you can decide if you/your baby prefers them. My parenting style was to figure out if there was another reason the baby might be crying. Samson didn't take the pacifiers anyway—I washed my hands and let him suck on my pinky. I toted them around though, and I liked having a pacifier caddy that attached to the diaper bag.)

Lots of clothes, bibs

(People will give you lots of clothes as gifts.)

Walker

(Too dangerous. Get an exersaucer, jumper or other stationary activity center. If you want to help your baby walk, get a push toy or ride-on toy. Too many kids fall in walkers even when the parent is right there.)


Bassinet

(Nice to have, because baby feels more secure as a newborn, but not necessary)

Baby wash, lotion and shampoo

(People will give you these as gifts anyway. By the way, you can interchange them. You can use the baby wash as shampoo and vice versa. No special lotion required, any gentle moisturizer such as Cetaphil will do.)

Baby food maker

(Nice to have, but you can do the same thing with your food processor, mixer or blender)

Diaper rash ointment

(People will give you this as a gift anyway.)

Sleep positioner

(Safety experts really advise against this.)

Drool bibs

(You might want them, but no need to buy them. People will buy these for you, whether you want them or not. For the longest time I did not know they were for collecting drool – I thought they were for feeding, and goodness they weren't big enough for feeding! We got by without it, 'cus Samson wasn't a huge drooler for long.)


There are also a lot of great lists out there to tell you what to bring to the hospital, but a lot of that is personal preference stuff, which you will figure out in birthing class. The hospital will provide pretty much everything you need. And if you forget something, you can send hubby or a friend to your house to get it. I liked it that my hospital sent me home with witch hazel pads and perinatal ice packs ('cus things were pretty swollen and sore down there.) The most important thing to have at the hospital for me, was my doula and my husband.

No comments: