Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thoughts on My Marriage: Part 3

At the risk of sounding pompous, I believe my relationship with Ivan is special.

There is something about the dynamic between us--our attitude towards our marriage--that I feel is lacking in most marriages today. It is something I cannot quite wrap my words around.
It transcends sex
and financial security
and family
and playing house
and being best friends
and love
and having babies
and societal obligations
and moral obligations
and all the good stuff
(and the messy stuff) we associate with marriage.
There is something about our covenant between Me and Ivan and God that transcends all that stuff and I don't quite know how to describe it. I know that some of you out there will know exactly what I mean. Can anyone help me out on this?

It is not to say that other people take marriage too lightly; most people don't. There is just something extra there that I am not quite convinced I have seen in a lot of the relationships around me. And it makes that relationship the most important thing I have on this earth.

No comments: