Friday, August 11, 2006

Multiply


It has been quite some time since I posted anything here, but here goes. I have had a very lazy, boring summer...which was exactly what I needed. I am now way pumped that it is August again and time to go back to school (I will totally miss UNI when I am done in December). It has also been a very poor summer. The width of my pinky finger is how far away we have been from being completely broke all summer long. I do not regret it though. It is just one more thing God has used to teach me countless lessons--like empathy for the poor. It is amaing how little you need to get by. I find myself thinking There isn't anything I am really in need of.
Yeah, there have been a lot of days when I had to eat something I didn't want to, but I haven't gone hungry. It has been so good for me to have had to make adjustments to discipline my lifestyle. This summer I got to connect with a coworker who, like myself, has been keeping her head just above water. She also has just one vehicle between her husband and herself. She lives in a small space and certainly can't afford many things she'd like to have. These are all things we have in common.

One more thing we have in common is that, despite our circumstances, we are generally happy. A lot of the people in my life are still convinced that a person's happiness correlates directly with the number of figures in one's bank account. If that is true, why are so many rich people in therapy?

On a different note, I would like to talk about something very dear to my heart. I want my brothers and sisters in Christ to be aware of why my husband and I have decided to stop using the pill or any other form of hormonal birth control such as an IUD, the patch etc. While the mainline of defense against pregnancy that these birth controls use is to keep a woman from ovulating, it is still possible for her egg to be fertilized. Because these forms of birth control alter the lining of the uteris so that the fertilized egg cannot attach itself to the uteris (this usually happens around 2 weeks after conception), this small life is just flushed out of the body during her monthly cycle. Now, the FDA defines "conception" as the point when the fertilized egg attaches itself to the lining of he uteris, not simply the fertilization of the egg. For consumers, that means the package label can be very misleading. Also, these hormonal birth controls can do crazy things to women's bodies.

On a moral level I consider this to be abortion. I urge you all to consider this very seriously. Also, know that before the 1930s, all Christian churches rejected any type of birth control. For nearly all of Christian history "Be fruitful and multiply" was the rule.

No comments: