Saturday, February 17, 2007

Political stuff...

As a college-educated American woman, I recognize the importance of choosing the right people to put in our public offices. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I recognize the necessity to pray and seek God before I cast my vote. Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Barack Obama is all over the media right now. In the past few weeks his website has been extensively updated. I hope everyone will take the time to carefully and prayerfully read where all of our candidates -- presidential and otherwise -- stand on the issues. I found this video (click on the title above) of a speech Sen. Obama gave in a church (be prepared, it is forty minutes long) and I watched the whole thing. At the end of this video, my mind raised even more questions than before. I still have no idea how I feel about this man; I agree with a lot of what he had to say, but I wonder if he is just trying to find some ground where he is pleasing everybody. On the surface, he appears to be someone who is serious about his faith, but I can't really know for sure.

I do think gay marriage isn't really marriage at all, but I also recognize that I cannot change the moral climate of my country by forcing my morality on people. So, I don't necessarily think we can deny gay couples the rights that straight couples have. Only the Holy Spirit and a spiritual revival from the bottom up can cause people to turn to living by God's standards. It isn't something we can always impose on others politically when what they're doing isn't actually getting in the way of other peoples' freedoms. So, in a way, I agree with Sen. Obama about religious people in a pluralistic society.

No comments: